Canadian Immigration started the taking new applications under this extremely popular category of Federal Skilled Trades in January 2013. This program has a quota of 3000 applications that will be accepted in one year. There are 43 Targeted occupations referred to as skilled trades that are eligible under this program.
Determine your eligibility — Skilled trades
Minimum requirements – To be eligible, you must:
- plan to live outside the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information),
- meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening),
- have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,
- meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification, and
- have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.