If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident you might be eligible to sponsor your Parents and grandparents to come to Canada and live with you permanently. Leaving your family behind is hard and one of the main objective of Canadian government is family reunification.

This is one of the high demand immigration stream which allows you to live with your loved one’s permanently in Canada.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada changed the system for Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship in 2017 from first-come, first-served to a lottery.

Families are asked to fill in an initial online form expressing interest in the program, with the allotted quota (10,000 for 2017 and 2018) drawn from all those expressing an interest. The 10,000 drawn must submit an application within 90 days.

Sponsoring your parents/grandparents under family class sponsorship is a three-step process:

Step 1: Check if you are eligible to apply.

Step 2: Fill a short form online expressing your interest to sponsor your parents/grandparents.

Step 3: Canadian Immigration selects random applicants in a draw and invite them to apply, completed applications must be sent within 90 days from receiving invitation to apply.

Eligibility Requirement

Only those who meet the eligibility requirements should submit the form in order to ensure the online application system’s efficiency.

In order to be eligible to sponsor one’s parents and grandparents to become a permanent resident under the Family Class, applicants must be:

  1. At least 18 years old.
  2. A Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.

If you sponsor your parents and grandparents to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must:

  • Meet certain income requirements.
  • Support that person and their dependants financially.
  • Meet the Minimum income requirement for this program by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their sponsorship.
  • Sponsors must also demonstrate they have met the minimum necessary income level for three consecutive years. If married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both persons can be included; and
  • The sponsor and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits the sponsor to provide financial support for the sponsored person for up to 20 years.

If you are not invited in 2019, you may try again in 2020.
If you want your parent or grandparent to visit you in Canada, you can apply for a super visa.

Mann ImmigrationParent-Grandparent